• All competing dancers must be registered for the entire Velocity Dance Convention in the city in which they are competing.
• Each studio will be allowed to compete a maximum of 50 entries. The maximum of 50 entries may include no more than 20 solos. Only 1 solo per dancer.
• NEW | All dancers must perform within a small group (4-9 dancers) or larger to compete a solo (1 dancer).
• Regional competition may be limited due to time constraints. In cities with high numbers of entries, the solo and duo/trio competition may be held on Friday evening.
• All convention and competition entries must be postmarked by the cut-off deadline. If competition limit is reached before this deadline, no further entries will be accepted.
* Entries are accepted in the order they are received.
• All entries can register online HERE.
• Mail Registration Entries will be excepted by filling out the PDF Competition Registration Form at www.velocitydanceconvention.com, and mailed to:
Velocity Dance Convention
4821 Lankershim Blvd, Suite 299
North Hollywood, CA 91601
• No entries will be accepted via email.
• No entries will be accepted by fax or phone.
• All entries must be postmarked by the registration cut-off date. (Information located under tour dates and hotel information.)
*COMPETITION AGE DIVISIONS
Mini: Ages 5-8
Junior: Ages 9-12
Teen: Ages 13-15
Senior: Ages 16-18
Pro-Am: Ages 19+
NEW | All ages are determined as of Jan 1st 2015
• All categories are the average age. To reach the average age, add the ages of all the dancers together, then divide by the number of dancers in the routine. Drop all decimals, and that is the average age.
• Names, ages, and birth dates of all dancers must appear on the entry form, or it will not be accepted.
• In the unlikely event a dancer’s age needs verification, Birth Certificates must be available upon request.
(Mini, Junior, Teen, Senior, Pro-Am)
Solo (1 dancer)
Duo/Trio (2-3 dancers)
Small Group (4-9 dancers)
Large Group (10-19 dancers)
Line (20-24 dancers)
Production (25+ dancers)
Extended Time Production (25+ dancers)
Solo $95 per dancer
Duo/Trio (2-3 dancers) $45 per dancer
Small Group (4-9 dancers) $35 per dancer
Large Group (10-19 dancers) $35 per dancer
Line (20-24 dancers) $35 per dancer
Production (25+ dancers) $35 per dancer
Extended Time Production (25+ dancers) $37 per dancer
• All entries are final and non-refundable. No exceptions.
• Entries that are canceled due to injury or illness will not be refunded. No exceptions.
• All Major Credit Cards, Cash, and Studio Checks are accepted as forms of payment. No personal Checks are excepted. No Exceptions. Credit Cards will inquire a transaction fee.
Make all checks payable to:
Velocity Dance Convention
4821 Lankershim Blvd. Suite 299
North Hollywood, CA. 91601
• All returned checks are subject to a $35.00 fee.
Solo 2:45 max
Duo/Trio 2:45 max
Small Group 3:00 max
Large Group 4:00 max
Line 5:00 max
Production 6:00 max
Extended Time Production 8:00 max
• Time restrictions will be strictly enforced. There will be a one-point deduction for every second over the time limit.
• You may upload your music online under the competition portion of your online registration OR teachers may turn in music during registration at the event.
• Registered teachers must turn in one FlashDrive labeled with your studio name and code. Each entry should be labeled with the 3 digit Act # and Routine Name. (Example: 001 Boys are Back, 013 Closer to You, 121 Diamonds)
•All music must be submitted as: .mp3, .m4a, or .aif
• Teachers should have a back-up CD for every entry on hand, in case the primary FlashDrive does not work.
• All FlashDrives must be submitted to the registration desk at teacher registration. All FlashDrives will be imported and ran through a computer system at competition. No FlashDrives will be accepted after registration has closed, no exceptions.
Ballet: Routines must consist of ballet or pointe technique. Ballet, or pointe shoes must be worn to be entered in the ballet category.
Tap: A routine containing tap technique, performed with tap shoes. No tap sounds to be recorded over audio.
Jazz: A routine demonstrating jazz technique, utilizing up-tempo music.
Lyrical: A routine that demonstrates lyrical technique.
Contemporary: A mix of jazz styles with emphasis on modern ballet technique.
Open: A routine that demonstrates any dance style or combination of dance styles. Examples include, acro-gymnastics, ballroom, novelty, character, and clogging. Routines containing more than 3 gymnastic/acro tricks must be entered in this category.
Musical Theatre: A routine showcasing Broadway or theatre dance styles. Singing is permitted in this category only. Microphones for vocals are not provided.
Hip-Hop: A routine that demonstrates hip-hop or street type moves.
High Gold: 285-294
• All entries receiving a Silver award or higher, will be eligible for the 2015 Velocity Dance Convention Season Finale held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Technique: 50 points
Performance: 20 points
Choreography & Musicality: 20 points
Overall Appearance: 10 points
• All ties will be broken; first by the technique score, second by the performance score, and third by a judges’ poll.
• In addition to the adjudicated awards, an overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place award will be given to the entries with the highest score in each division: Mini, Junior, Teen, Senior, and Pro-Am.
• Choreography awards will be presented to the most outstanding choreography in the Mini/Junior and Teen/Senior divisions.
• Photography and Video recording from any media devices (i.e. digital cameras, cell phones, SLR’s, Flip, etc.) is strictly prohibited during classes and competition. This is to enforce the children’s safety and privacy, as well as protecting the work of choreographers and faculty. We offer professional photo and video services at each of our events.
Please visit our media booth, CEVENTPICS, onsite and inquire about studio package discounts.
• Any guest not complying with these procedures will lead in point deductions and could result in disqualification. No Exceptions.
• All Photo and Video may be ordered thru www.ceventpics.com and clicking Order Online.
• General props are permitted. Ceiling heights vary in each venue. Please contact the Velocity Dance Convention Office if you are concerned with the size of a prop.
• No dangerous props (Examples: fire, swords, guns, sparklers, etc.)
• No use of live animals
• No scenery
• Velocity Dance Convention does not store props.
THE FINE PRINT…
• Competing dancers may enter in as many categories as they please, but are not allowed to compete against themselves. Numbers entered in the same category must have a 50% change in participants.
• No changes may be made to competition entries two weeks prior to the convention. No exceptions.
• Dancers may compete in more than one city per season. However, each routine may only be competed at one regional city per season.
• Routines must be age appropriate, and suitable for family viewing. If judges deem routine inappropriate, point deduction or disqualification may occur.
• General lifts are permitted.
• Teachers are not permitted to perform with students.
• Competing dancers must perform in their scheduled order, unless permission is given by Velocity Dance Convention to hold a number to allow time for costume changes. No Exceptions.
• Competition order will not be altered to allow for rehearsal time, or pre-performance run-thrus. This can lead to point deduction or disqualification of the routine. No Exceptions.
• Decisions made by the judges are final.
• Judge’s score sheets, critiques, and music may be collected by a registered teacher at the registration desk, the morning following the competition. Files will not be distributed to anyone who is not a registered teacher.
• Velocity Dance Convention is not responsible for any music that is not picked up.
• Admission to the competition is free.
• There will be reserved seating for all teachers with competing numbers.
• Visual coaching is strictly prohibited