2019-2020 Workshop Rates
|Type||Early Bird||After Deadline|
|Seniors (16 +)||$260.00||$290.00|
|Directors and Teachers||$275.00||$300.00|
|Parent Class & Seminars||*See below||Under Parent Observer Band|
|Additional Mini Observer||$20.00||N/A|
|15-25 Students||One Teacher Free|
|26-35 Students||Two Teachers Free|
|36-50 Students||Three Teachers Free|
|51-79 Students||Four Teachers Free + One Night Host Hotel Free|
|80+ Students||Four Teachers Free + Two Night Host Hotel Free|
- Velocity will credit appropriate room night / tax charges to your hotel master bill. Hotel reservations should be made through the host hotel under the studio director’s name for discount to apply.
- In order to receive discounts, all students accounted for must be paying full price and be registered before the deadline of the city in which you are attending. This excludes Scholarship Recipients.
College Students Discounts
|1-5 Students||10% Off Workshop Fees|
|6-20 Students||20% Off Workshop Fees|
|21+ Students||25% Off Workshop Fees|
- Photocopies of valid College IDs must be attached to the registration form in order to obtain the above discount.
Workshop Age Levels
- All ages, Convention & Competition, are determined as of January 1st, 2020. (For example: Ages for October 2019 events will be as of January 1st 2020, and ages for March 2020 events will be as of January 1st 2020).
- Studio Directors and Studios Teachers may use their discretion to place students in ballrooms where they feel their individual student(s) would get the most out of their weekend. However, we do ask that all students return to their appropriate age level for auditions in order to be considered for a scholarship.
- If a Mini would like to take classes in the Junior ballroom there is a $70.00 price difference.
- If Juniors would like to take classes in the Mini ballroom they may do so, however they will not be considered for scholarships without auditioning in the Junior ballroom and paying the Junior fee for convention.
- NEW | Our age levels for our Workshop classes are now different than our Competition ages. For additional information please visit our Competition tab.
- Mini Ballroom consists of half- day classes on both Saturday and Sunday of the Convention.
- For each Mini Dancer registered for the Convention, one free Mini Observer Band will be given to the studio for the appropriate parent/guardian of the Mini Dancer. This band will only allow entrance to the Mini Ballroom, no exceptions.
- If additional Mini Observer Bands are requested, there is a $15.00 fee.
- Only registered studio owners/teachers will be allowed in any ballroom for scholarship auditions. This rule includes the Mini Ballroom.
Directors and Teachers
- Registered Teachers may attend, take notes, or dance in any ballroom Friday-Sunday of the convention and may attend the teacher seminars.
- Teachers can use their discretion to place students in appropriate ballroom levels. However, scholarships will be auditioned by the students age as of January 1st.
- Only studio owners and directors can register students for an event. If you are coming as an independent, the studio owner or director must register you into our online registration system. We welcome independent dancers for workshops.
- All registration and entry fees are non-refundable, no exceptions.
- All registration must be completed four weeks before the convention to receive the discounted rate. Please refer to the deadline dates posted next to the city in which you are attending.
- Studio Registration Packets must be picked up by a Studio’s Director or Teacher. No Parent or Dancer will be allowed to do so, unless Velocity is informed prior to the date of the event by the Studio Director.
- Velocity Dance Convention will have a registration booth available on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings to pick up studio registration packets. All registered studios will receive a confirmation letter one week prior to the event to inform Studio Director’s of the weekend schedule.
- All registration must be completed on our online registration.
- Velocity Dance Convention cannot guarantee registration on the morning of the event, due to sell out. Please contact Velocity Dance Convention’s office prior to the convention to confirm availability.
Parent Observer Bands
At Velocity Dance Convention, we are always striving to improve the experience that our attendees have. From dancers and parents to studio owners, it is important to us that you feel that you are getting your money’s worth during a Velocity weekend, as well as investing your time wisely.
We want to encourage you to change your perspective on how your children/students take class in a convention setting. The past few seasons we have had the opportunity to experience class in a setting with no observers. The results were fantastic! We discovered that closing classes to observers enabled the students to be less inhibited and more focused. This change promoted an atmosphere of concentration and learning and lead to a more fulfilling dance experience for many students. Best of all, we noted that no observers gave classes a little more room to spread out, allowing each dancer more space in which to work. This meant fewer injuries and a safer environment for everyone.
Velocity Dance Convention is pleased to announce that we will be extending this opportunity to all students in attendance this season! We will be closing our classes to observers for Junior, Teen, and Senior ballrooms in order to reap the benefits of a safer dance environment and greater focus for students and instructors.
Minis classes will be unaffected by this change. Open observation will still be permitted for Minis. One free Mini observer band will be provided for each student registered.
Parents – We invite you to change your perspective, get inspired, and join Gina Pero for a selection of exciting and informative seminars covering topics such as tips to help your child build his or her confidence through dance. Gina will be offering these valuable seminars exclusively here at Velocity. In addition to seminars, Velocity also offers parent Fitness Classes on Saturday Mornings. Please check the weekend schedule for times and locations.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
A: In addition to the exclusive seminars offered by Gina Pero which parents are encouraged to attend, we will set up a remote viewing area for parents that are still interested in observing their child’s class. Parents will still have the option to observe classes via closed-circuit television at this location.
Q: I’m concerned about the safety of my children. What does Velocity do to ensure the safety of the dancers, especially since parents will not be physically present for classes?
A: Velocity has no higher priority than the safety of its attendees. To promote the safety of the dancers, Velocity Dance Convention has staff members with medical training who have a great deal of experience in handling any potential injuries or medical concerns which could potentially arise.
- No personal checks or Canadian checks are accepted.
- Please send one studio check for all Workshop fees, and a separate studio check for Competition fees.
- There will be a $35.00 fee for all returned checks.
- All major credit cards are accepted: Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
- All entries are final and non-refundable. No exceptions.
- Entries that are canceled due to injury or illness will not be refunded. No exceptions.
- If a dancer has moved dance studios or become “Independent”, they must get written permission from their former studio in order for any scholarships to be used through their new studio.
- Once you have added a dancer to your registration roster, you will see a “scholarship” box next to their name. If a dancer has a valid scholarship, please check this box. Once you check this box, a drop-down menu will appear with all of the scholarship options. Please select the scholarship that your dancer received. Once this scholarship has been selected, this dancer’s registration fees will be waived.
- All one-day dancers are not eligible to receive scholarships at a Velocity weekend.
- Students may only win each scholarship once a season. Example: If a dancer has won a MVA Runner Up scholarship in a season they cannot receive that scholarship again in the same season. However, they do qualify to place as a MVA 1st Runner Up or MVA Winner.
Workshop and Competition Schedule
- Velocity Dance Convention wristbands must be worn by all teachers, students and mini observers at all times.
- Anyone without a wristband will be denied entry into all ballrooms.
- A fee of $30.00 will be charged for all lost wristbands.
- Photography and Video recording from any media devices (i.e. digital cameras, cell phones, SLR’s, Flip, etc.) is strictly prohibited during classes and competition. This is to enforce the children’s safety and privacy, as well as protecting the work of choreographers and faculty. We offer professional photo and video services at each of our events. Please visit our media booth, CEVENTPICS, onsite.
Security and Safety
- The host hotel, facilities and Velocity Dance Convention are not responsible for any lost personal items or injuries.
- If a participant of Velocity Dance Convention is in need of first aid, please see a Velocity Staff member at the registration/merchandise booth.
- Please make sure all personal items are against the perimeter of the ballroom at all times to avoid injury.
- All dancers under the age of 16 who are registered with Velocity Dance Convention must be accompanied by an adult of a legal age.